Su Jia Tun

Su Jia Tun
Su Jia Tun

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Funny Moments so far

I hope to add more of these but if you know us you will recognize a lot of our silliness in these moments. Enjoy!
1. A lady called me on the phone for an interview. I understood practically none of what she said. I heard her say the place, and the time. So I showed up and decided to be flexible. How did she learn to talk so fast?
2. I found out about myself the other day that a new side to my personality is I am reluctant to ask questions now that I am in Australia. Why? I am unwilling to stand out. What? Standing out, shouldn't I be used to that by now?
3. Darren and I found out that we are extremely clumsy when eating Chinese food in Australia. What's more surprising is it isn't the chopsticks that are the problem... it's the spoons. We couldn't serve ourselves with serving spoons since we are used to using our chopsticks. You should have seen us trying to hold chopsticks and go for the food only to hold back at the last minute and grab the spoon and proceed to drop the chopsticks and food all over the table.
4.Cheese is GOLD! People it is GOLD! Would you stop putting it on everything cause you are giving me a heart attack.
5. I have had a hard time getting used to my super fancy touch-screen phone that...wait for it... came with the standard package deal. Thing flips from horizontal screen to vertical screen all the time which makes me dizzy. It also makes me want to hit it. By the way... where are the numbers? Ahhh took me awhile.
6. I forgot a huge batch of muffins in the oven because the oven was too quiet. Hard as rocks. For those from my fellowship in China, coffee was not the problem this time. True story.
7.I am reluctant to buy more than a day or two's worth of groceries. I actually wanted to stop my husband from buying a cereal for Saturday today because we won't need that for five days. And, of course, cereal is like GOLD people GOLD, would you stop eating it all the time!
8. I am inherently suspicious of bagged fruits and veggies. If it's pre-bagged in China then it's either out of season and therefore astronomically expensive or has one or two bad pieces in it. Mm mm and what is up with veggies that are pre-bagged just right in order to make Master Chef recipes? Will I adjust?
9. How excited did I get when the box showed up with a few precious coffee mugs from China in it? Way too excited to get over coffee cups. I used one right away with a huge grin all over my face. Could have been due to the amount of caffeine I already had in my system. Turns out coffee is GOLD but I can get used to drinking a lot more of it anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Christa, miss you! Love your randomness and how you are adjusting. The whole pre-made fruit/veges/salads are here in England and I am a bit timid to try, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to comment on a few things:

    4. Cheese is amazing! I guess it feels like gold to me because I married into a dairy farm. Welcome to my life :-)

    5. The phone- My itouch confuses me sometimes too when it flips back and forth from horizontal to vertical so I must say, I feel your pain!

    6-8. I just smiled when I read these. Welcome to life in convenience. As we have been here for 3 weeks we are amazed at the simplicity of things like that and the first time I went to a grocery store I was shocked because 1.) there were so many options 2.) At least one employee was on every aisle and they all greeted me and asked if I needed help. 3.) Everyone spoke English!

    We will adjust...you have time. Thanks for the updates! We miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haa haa! Going back for a trip is a trip too! I just sit back at the end of the day and laugh at myself. More moments today!

    ReplyDelete