Su Jia Tun

Su Jia Tun
Su Jia Tun

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Wow Life Goes On

Starting week 6 days ago and I have 4 weeks to learn everything. I liked it so much better being the person who knew how things were supposed to go than being the person asking for help all the time. I remember how dependent I was on people when I first moved to China but going through it all again is always harder than you can really imagine.
It's amazing though how having something to focus your attention so completley helps you to get into a pace that makes life feel more normalized. In some ways the adjustments are passing me by too quickly as I forget to cherish the freakish moments that still happen. For instance, yesterday I walked down the street to the new's agents,(for non-aussies this is a place that sells mainly newspapers and magazines),and heard Chinese being spoken by the two ladies who work in the shop. I quickly jumped in and we talked for a bit. I discovered that they speak Chinese but are from Malaysia and am still very happy that if I choose I can just walk down the street to practice my Chinese.
I said, "Dui Bu Qi", to a random man I bumped into getting off the train on my way to work. Turns out some situations wake up my Chinese language instincts more than others and large crowds bumping into eachother is one of those situations...naturally.
My co-worker who is also Japanese told me this morning that she had eaten a mooncake and I rejoiced for whose knows what reason because I never ate mooncake in China. But there I am paying attention to the directions and seriously considering going to buy one. By the way my new boss also spent time in China. It makes me feel like a little less of a freak when I go to get my hot water in the afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing and keeping us posted! It's very strange to not have you around right now. It's just not the same without you guys! Hey, I recently watched a movie called, "Mao's Last Dancer" it's based on the autobiography of a man who was born in a very village outside of Qingdao, defected to the US, and later immigrated to Australia. That's where he is right now. His book has been adapted for younger readers, a picture book and the movie (which I watched)--it's really good. Have you seen it yet? He was voted Father of the Year last year in Australia. Very interesting. Maybe you can meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so wierd how many Aussies end up having spent time in Australia. There was a man from Singapore at our group on Sunday speaking. Such an awesome message on 1 Cor. 13. Made me feel a bit more like home.

    ReplyDelete