Su Jia Tun

Su Jia Tun
Su Jia Tun

Monday, July 12, 2010

The bus ,the English

Well I have forgotten what my accent sounds like and wonder now what I will think when I get to Canada in a week.
1. I have learned that large crowds of English speakers stress me out. Turns out I have learned how to zone out Chinese in large amounts but I have lost the ability to do this in English and find myself unable to carry on comprehensible conversations when there is such a richness of English all around me. People must not know what to think as they watch me bounce my eyes around the room not being able to keep my mind on the questions they have just asked me.
2. Ohhh the bus. I went down to the bus stop today and waited patiently for the right bus. It drove up and I got on. I asked the driver how much to my stop. He told me the amount and I looked around confused, then I asked,"Where do I put the money?" He responded by sticking out his hand. He also advised me that in future I had better wave down the bus I needed because several would go by. At the end of all this I got off the bus at the wrong stop because I thought two stops couldn't possibly be so close to each other. Well at least he can blame it on me being American.
3. Lastly my son's Sunday school teacher thought he was from New Zealand because of his muddled accent. I know, however, he will get the hang of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment